The scientific committee comprises one member with scientific competence from each member country appointed by the NCU Board after recommendations from the national cancer societies.
The tasks of the committee are:
- to assess the scientific quality of research projects in connection with applications for funding
- to secure that the applications are aligned with the NCU research strategy
- to formulate recommendations regarding the applications to the NCU Board for their decisions on grants
- to give consultation regarding strategic research projects to the NCU Board for their decisions on grants
- to evaluate funded research and follow-up on the application of the results in the Nordic countries
The scientific committee is invited to an annual meeting and to the meeting for the Committee of Representatives held every third year.
Members of the NCU Scientific Committee 2024-2026
Peppi Karppinen, Phd, MD, Professor of medical biochemistry, University of Oulu
Malin Sund, Phd, Professor of Surgery, Umeå University
Mari Nygård, Phd, Head of research department Cancer Registry of Norway
From Faroe Islands:
Maria Skaalum Petersen, Professor, Phd, Affiliated Professor in Health Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Faroe Islands
Thorunn Rafnar, Phd, Head of Oncology, deCODE genetics
Mette Nørgaard, Phd, Professor, Chief physician, Department of Clinical Medicine, Department of Epidemiology, Aarhus University